[nabs-l] Textbooks

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 22:18:00 UTC 2011

Here is what I do. It may work for you:

1. I have asked the DSS (Disability Support Services) office to put my
books on a flash drive that I provide, instead of a CD. They like this
because they don't have to use a CD that they pay for, so it saves
them that little bit of money if everyone goes to this (which they are
planning to suggest to other students).
2. I get my books in Word documents.
3. I create a folder in my $dbt_text folder with the title of the book
as its name.
4. I open the files and do a Save As (F12) and save the file on my SD
card (for my VictorReader Stream) as a .txt file.
5. I do this for each file (Each file is one chapter) I put all of the
files in the folder that I created with the name of the book.
6. When I turn on my Victor, I go to the Text bookshelf, then navigate
by level 1 to find the folder that is the book I want, then navigate
to the chapter file that I want to read.
7. I press play and it reads the file. This also allows me, of course,
to navigate the file by screen, phrase, paragraph, line, sentence,
word, and character, and to also do a search (say I'm looking for a
vocabulary word).

I know it's a lot of work but think of it this way. You only have to
do it once per semester.

Oh, just a note. Before I go through all of these steps, I check to
see if the book is available from Learning Ally or Bookshare. If from
Learning Ally, I only put the files on my Victor that I need to know
spellings and such from. If from Bookshare, I skip this process
altogether and just download the daisy book from them.

Hope that helps,
Jewel