[nabs-l] Grabbing and streetcrossing help

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:22:57 UTC 2011

I can kind of understand how those with little to no exposure to
blindness may be concerned and curious as to how we do something like
cross a street, but, and this may be my naivety talking, when a person
sees a grown person walking about on their own, does common sense not
dictate that perhaps, while not fully understanding it, that person is
probably okay? Maybe they can ask if we need anything, but it's a little
difficult for me to understand how we can obviously be doing things with
no help, but when a sighted person is around we suddenly need their
help? I guess I'm still acclimating to stuff like this.

In crowded situations, I'll take sighted guide sometimes, more so, so I
don't lose whoever I'm with, but I think it helps when we do as much as
possible independently. I also suffer episodes of extremely low blood
pressure which makes me dizzy, weak and can affect my balance. On days
like these, depending on what I need to do, I may take more assistance
than on good days, but I try to be as independent as possible even on
these days, but this also is just because of my personality as much as
it is related to blindness! Smile. While going to school, classmates
became accustomed to me doing things and getting around without help,
and I led the way when it came to when and if I needed assistance. When
classmates would see me around campus, they eventually stopped asking if
I needed help and would just approach me like they would anyone else.
They let me do the asking, and instead, we were able to cultivate
relationships.

The positive energy and confidence we put off helps as much as our
actions. If we present ourselves in as confident of a manner as possible
in any given situation, people will pick up on this and respect us as
people. The more we work on our confidence, the more people will take
note, and more importantly, the better off we feel about our
independence and capabilities.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: