[nabs-l] Grabbing and streetcrossing help

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 21:34:49 UTC 2011

Mark,

I like thinking outside the box, smile! What you say is very true. And
one point I have failed to state is that even when using sighted guide,
or a guide of any kind, always, always keep your cane. And just because
a person touches, in some way, someones body, it doesn't mean they are
being led around, or are dependent. For the longest time, my husband and
I wouldn't hold hands when public because we didn't want anyone thinking
one was leading the other around, but eventually we grew tired of this.
We're in love and we like to hold hands. Others will think what they
want; we know the truth. And if people can't deal with this, screw them.
It's not like we're maneuvering the other into bathroom stalls, or
chairs, or inching them along. It's ridiculous how caught up on this
stuff we can become as blind people.

We put certain definitions on things like sighted guide, but when you
think about it, we could just as easily place those definitions on other
things.

Since when did independence mean doing something literally alone? True,
a basic definition means acting on your own, but independence is also
about being efficient and being the best possible person in order to
live your life based on your terms. To assume touching, or holding, a
persons arm or hand automatically equates to dependence is a ridiculous
idea.

We need to give people room to grow and explore. We all come to certain
crossroads in our own time, and making snap judgments and placing strict
definitions, doesn't lead to an environment cultivating growth. None of
us have "made it," and if you think you have, you are sadly mistaken and
have a huge growth of your own to make.

Getting caught up on analyzing every encounter, every action is just as
stupid as not releasing your feelings in a given situation. Who cares
how every little thing I do is perceived? I don't have time to care. If
I decide to hold the back of a friends arm while we walk and talk, I
can't be concerned if you, or others, think I'm being dependent. If I
let my husband refill my drink at a restaurant, why do I have to worry
about how this is perceived? I have nothing to prove to the world beyond
living my life the best way I see fit.

Thank you, Mark, for stepping outside the box and giving us something to
think about rather than some rigidly defined standard in which to
measure up to our own lives. Thinking is what cultivates true change,
not blanket standards set by those who can't open their minds to other
things. It's about separating truth from perception.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan