[nabs-l] Blindness and other minorities

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 16:31:47 UTC 2011

Chris and Arielle,

I completely understand where you're coming from- I've had the exact
same experiences, and in fact, though I don't consider myself a
Christian, my father is a minister, and my mother is a devout Catholic-
don't ask, it's a long story, smile. Anyway, I've encountered many who
view me with pity no matter the circumstances of my life and want to
pray for me, but I've also had to deal with people who believe I'm blind
because I, "don't have enough faith."

However, I think it important we not be condescending, rude or angry
when people ask to pray for us. Though the reasoning and logic are
wrong, the sentiment is not. We should not acquiesce to them, or leave
the encounter without educating them in some way, but, regardless of
religious beliefs, prayer in and of itself isn't a bad thing. And being
told you're beautiful is never a bad thing! Smile.

The Bible has several references about blindness that aren't exactly
positive or progressive, and Christians are taught to help the weak and
poor. Unfortunately people with disabilities are often viewed as "weak
and poor" despite any evidence to the contrary. Like most people though,
once they get to know us and learn about us and our disability, many
will grow and change their idea of disability.

While living in Des Moines, my husband and I were invited to a church by
a cab driver of all people. His wife was the youth pastor, and unlike
many, he simply had a conversation with us like he would with anyone
else. At least on the surface, he didn't seem to consider our blindness
to be a reason to go to church. Because of this, we thought we'd visit
since he was really nice and open-minded. Neither of us are Christians,
but we ended up joining the church, though they were aware we didn't
share beliefs, but became friends with a lot of the people nonetheless.
It was a very small church, and the members were so welcome and
open-minded. They asked us how to make programs and services more
accessible, and after the first couple of times, no one treated us as
though we were helpless or incapable. To this day, we're friends with
some of those people, and we were invited to participate in an
initiative the church was doing to include the disabled community and
educate about disability.

I'm not trying to defend the reasoning behind why some religious people
ask to pray for us just because we're blind- though stemming from
kindness, it's wrong thinking and must be changed. It is better, though,
than those who think our problem is because we don't have enough faith
or are sinners. I like to tell people that, according to most Christian
doctrines, God allows things to happen in our life. Obviously, if
following this logic,  God has allowed me to be blind, and to view this
as sad and want to pray to change it is to question God's plan. For
some, they at least stop and think.

I guess my point is that like anyone else we deal with who hold similar
ideas, we should handle the situation with diplomacy and respect. I'm
not implying Arielle or anyone else did not do this, I'm simply
cautioning us to not condescend because people, out of ignorance, think
a certain way about blindness. Hopefully we will change the minds of
those in religious communities just as we hope to change minds with the
rest of the world.

Side note: Arielle, I had a similar encounter with a woman who
approached me with tears in her eyes and told me, I wish you could see
how beautiful you are." I'm not exactly sure why this was such a sad
thing, or why it so important I be able to "see" myself regardless of
how I look. It really freaks people out when they find out I wasn't
always blind! I'm a bit of an instigator at times, smirky grin, and I
like to freak people out in these situations. Like purposefully walking
to the edge of a pool because my grandma was worried I'd fall in. No
matter I not only can swim, but was on the swim team in school and was a
lifeguard in high school. Okay, this just voids out everything I said
before. Smile.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: