[nabs-l] Blindness versus other minority groups

Andi adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:34:52 UTC 2011

     I agree nonverbal comunication is so very important and I think it
should be included in the curriculum that VI's and training centers use, not
only what we want to say but also avoiding the nonverbals that say what we
do not want to say.  I use to work at a summer camp and I notice a big
difference in the social lives of the blind kids and teens who had an
understanding of nonverbal comunication versis the blind kids and teens who
were not taught nonverbal comunication.  Part of the reason sighted people
think so badly and incorrectly about the blind is because sometimes blind
people do not allways look compatent even though they are.  I am not saying
that all blind people look this way, nor am I saying that blind people who
look compatent are never faulsly judged.  I know that the sighted are
largely ignorent to the truthe about blind people, but I think blind people
also need to present themselves in a way that portrays them how they want to
be seen.  I know that you shouldn't care to much what other people think of
you, because you can not please everyone, and you should always be true to
yourself; however all people especially people who are already dealing with
stigmas such as the blind should care to a sertain extent.
     Many blind people have atrophy in the muscles in their face.  This
means that many facial expressions are hard or in some cases impossible to
make.  When people have a blank look on their face it looks to the sighted
like there is nothing going on upstairs.  Even other sighted people get this
blank look on their face sometimes but it is usually when they are dazing
off or falling asleep.  When a person has that look all the time it looks to
sighted people that the blind can not have an intelligent conversation
because you can not talk to someone who is off in space.  Some Blind people
go to physical tharipy to remedy this, but that is not necessary just some
exercises at home can fix it.  Also eye contact is a big part of nonverbal
comunication.  Many blind people keep their eyes closed, or look at the
floor, or look up in the sky.  That to a sighted person shows disinterest,
bordom, or again the off in space thing depending on the rest of your body
language accompanying the lack of eye contact.  Even though we can not see
the person we are talking to we should make eye contact.  Isms such as
rocking, poking, spinning, or flicking, are not exceptable ever as this
looks like a cognitive impairment.  At the camp their were blind kids with
no other disability, and blind kids who also had cognitive impairments.  I
had my sighted sister come to the camp and help teach a weekend dance camp
as she is a very skilld dancer.  One teenager who is very smart by the way
and has no other disabilities was rocking and poking while singing loudly at
dinner.  My sister had not yet met him and asked me how old he was mentally.
Once she met him and realized he was mentally a normal teen she felt bad for
asking the question, but that is how the sighted world looks at isms. The
placement of your hands is a simple but often socially faital thing if
placed oddly.  Also the way a person stands or walks is importaint.  Many
blind people move stiffly, I am not talking a robot, but still stif
movements can tell a sighted person something you are not trying to say.
Depending on what you are doing with the stiff movement you can look either
angry, nervous, or mocking.  This is just the tip of the nonverbal icebirg,
and it can make a huge difference in the way we as blind people are viewed.
     Also you are right about understanding the body language of others, and
even though we can not see it there are ways of telling what is being said
silently.  Some actions make noise, while others have a different energy
feel.  I was told that only 7 percent of all comunication is what a person
says, 32 percent of all comunication is tone, and 61 percent of all
comunication is nonverbal.