[nabs-l] Taking dance and acting to learn natural movement and expressions

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 19:44:59 UTC 2011

I danced for many years including ballet, including pointe. It's very
true that ballet dancers learn to position, and move, their bodies in
inorganic ways. The motion, when done well, is very graceful and fluid,
but the process to harness the technique can take years and actually can
do quite a number on your body.

Though other dance forms like jazz or tap are not quite as unforgiving
as ballet, they still require a lot of discipline to do, especially to
master.

However, if wanting to learn how to move more naturally, dance certainly
can help. Many professional athletes take dance, including ballet, in
order to move better on the field or pitch or rink or whatever the case
may be.

I also have a background in theatre and minored in it when at university
back in 2000. Acting, at least stage acting, pays a lot of attention to
body movement and facial expressions. Voice is also extremely important.
Taking an acting class can assist with more natural body movements, but
be aware that in an acting class, you'll be expected to perform in front
of your peers, being judged. If you can't handle constructive criticism,
or are extremely introverted, an acting class may not be the best
option. Even in a more informal acting class, you will have to perform
monologues and duets and group scenes.

Another way to learn a more natural body movement is to take modeling
classes. Now, these can cost, but so can dance and acting classes- it's
something to invesigate before signing up. Modeling classes will teach
you specifically how to walk and how to use your face to relay things.
Models on the runway often use an unnatural gate, but in modeling class
itself, you learn how to carry yourself meaning you learn how to move in
a graceful, fluid manner.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: