[nabs-l] Blindness versus other minority groups

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:26:31 UTC 2011

Carly wrote,
How can facial expressions and other body language convey meaning if they are not naturally, ocuring? For this reason I don't see a reason to sort of put on nonverbal, expression if, behind it there is little, meaning?

I want to take Carly's point further and suggest that pressuring blind people to look and act like others is in itself wrong.  I'm not suggesting there is no value to it, nor am I saying it should never be done, but it makes me uncomfortable.

The subject of this thread is comparing blindness to other minorities.  I think there's a parallel between pressuring blind people to look and act like everyone else and things that some minorities used to do and still do for similar reasons.  In the past, among African Americans, there existed the practice of skin bleaching and hair straightening for the purpose of appearing less black and/or more white.  I can't give evidence to show how common this was, but Malcolm X talked about trying to remove the kink from his hair himself and finding it a physically and emotionally painful process.  There are also surgeries performed to give people of East Asian descent more "white looking" eyes and Jews more "white looking" noses.  These are just a couple of examples.  Pressuring minorities to adopt the dominant group's style of dress, gate, diction, body language, etc also often happens.

I hope we can agree that this is at the very least unfortunate.  There may be psychological and other explanations for why this occurs, but feeling pressured to get a nose job or to bleach your skin so that you look more like one particular group in society is problematic to say the least.  So what's the difference between these cases and pressuring a blind person to adopt the behavioural habits, facial expressions, body language etc of some sighted people?

You might say that we live in a sighted world and so we have to adapt.  There is something to this, but I wonder if it would be equally acceptable to say we live in a white-dominated world so non-whites have to adapt.  It may be the case that blind people who don't "look blind" are more successful and integrate better, and it also may be that non-whites who look and act white are more successful and integrate better, but in neither case is it just that the minorities need to assume the dominant groups characteristics in order to be successful.

What ultimately needs to happen is not that blind people begin to look and act like sighted people, but that we all become more accepting of differences that are arbitrary and irrelevant.  Most, if not all, so called blindisms are irrelevant, and I see no more reason to stamp them out than I do for trying to eliminate various differences in behaviour and appearance possessed by other minority groups.

Cheers,

Marc