[nabs-l] Concealing eyes

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 22:36:05 UTC 2011

While I understand where you're coming from, I disagree about a blind
person covering their eyes just to make sighted people feel more at
ease. Many of us where sunglasses for various reasons. I where mine on
days when light is causing extra sensitivity or when I opt to not wear
make-up, smile. I have a friend who wears sunglasses to hide scar tissue
and another to hide a glass eye.

I think it's time the world learn to accept people as they are. If glass
eyes, or eyes with scarring, or cloudiness, cause discomfort among
sighted people, does this mean we need start concealing missing limbs,
birth, or accident related, deformaties, scarring on burn victims? The
list is endless.

I understand your comments, and I understand why some choose to cover up
any "abnormality" with their eyes, but I think this is unjustly unfair.
We, to some degree, have sway over how we act and present ourselves to
the public, but for many, they have no control over the function, or
lack thereof, color or clarity of their eyes. We shouldn't teach blind
kids to conceal something they can't control, but instead we should
educate society to accept that disability is a part of life and to be
comfortable with people who may have a physical deformity (for lack of a
better word at the moment) scar, missing limb, cognitive impairment or
any other "abnormal" issue. I think it all goes back to us, the disabled
people, having to fit into a mold in order to make others feel more
comfortable, or taking submissive roles so society doesn't feel awkward.
We shouldn't have to take extra measures in terms of a physical aspect
out of our control just so others feel better. We're human and have
feelings. What about the world taking extra measures so we feel less
uncomfortable around those who aren't disabled or have a physical
condition considered abnormal?

I agree that people who are blind can learn how to dress and interact in
ways that are more socially acceptable, but hiding your eyes because
they make others uncomfortable seems like the wrong message. Perhaps
this is a bit of a leap, but we once were relegated to dark corners and
institutionalized just so society didn't have to literally look at us,
causing them discomfort and guilt. Is covering eyes, limbs, scars,
fractures, etc. just a new way of relegating us into a different kind of
dark corner? Hide as much of us as possible so we don't frighten the
nondisabled population? God forbid people with disabilities get to feel
human for once.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: