[nabs-l] Blindness versus other minority groups

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 02:33:26 UTC 2011

I'll respond to a few points to help clarify my earlier posts.

Firstly, I have RP.  It's an aggressive form, but I was able, probably often foolishly, to navigate without a cane until my early twenties.  Though I'm not particularly expressive, I find it easy to make eye contact, I communicate with my hands, I express feelings with my body, and I don't exhibit so called blindisms.  I am regularly told that I don't look blind, which I take not as a complement to me but as an insult to blind people.  So on the one hand, I could be accused of being an outsider that hasn't really had to deal with these issues, but on the other hand, my position isn't motivated by my own inability to look and act like a sighted person.

Ashley wrote,
Maybe if you could see them or someone described those strange behaviors called blindisms, you'd feel different.

I have seen them, and I also remember the negative reaction I had to them, but that doesn't change how I feel now.

Ashley wrote,
Particularly for women, learning to be graceful, confident, show expression and have manners goes a long way.

I'm glad you brought up women because I think the sort of things I'm getting at relate to issues concerning standards of beauty.  If we lived in the kind of world I'm suggesting, not only would women not be expected to dress, walk, talk, and act in ways that men find appealing or that suit our interests, but there would also be far fewer women suffering from eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia.  There would be far fewer women receiving plastic surgery and far fewer women hating their bodies and themselves.  Of course this doesn't only apply to women, but I think the pressures around beauty are much more apparent for women, as you suggest, Ashley.

Ashley wrote,
Your comparing apples and oranges. Blind people can act more graceful, have expression, wear nice clothes, be competent with the alternative skills, and more showing that we can fit in. A minority like being say black cannot be changed.

While it's true that one cannot currently very easily go from black to white, the things I mentioned skin bleaching, hair straightening, eyelid surgery, nose jobs, happened in the past and are still happening today, and these are all aimed at changing appearance to make it conform with dominant standards of beauty, which are, and this is not coincidental, white standards of beauty.  Secondly, minorities cannot easily change appearance, but I wasn't only talking about appearance.  Things like dress, gate, and diction were also mentioned.  So what we wear, how we walk, and the words we use are influenced by the dominant culture.  There are language classes aimed at reducing southern accents because a southern accent is often wrongly associated with stupidity.  So I'm not just talking about appearance.  Lastly, what you say seems to me to imply that if African Americans could change their appearance to look white, and if this were happening regularly, there would be nothing wrong with this.  I just don't agree with that.

Ashley wrote,
There is someone in our nfb chapter who looks gross; I see him do this as I have tunnel vision. He moves his head up/down, side/side like an amimal, rocks his head, opens his moutth, making weird contortions, picks his nose, and just doesn't look good.

I'm not suggesting that anything goes.  There are issues of hygiene that have to do with health and should be respected.  Picking one's nose and failing to bathe or wash one's clothes can lead to the increased likelihood of spreading germs and disease, and so such behaviours ought to be discouraged.  I suspect there are also risks with poking one's eyes, and so it makes sense to discourage this as well.  My issue is with pressuring people to abandon behaviours and the like that are irrelevant.  Rocking, shaking one's head, not making eye contact, not talking with one's hands, these things do not inherently limit or obstruct communication.  They are only even noticed because they are not the sort of things most people do.  There are cultures, though, where eye contact is a sign of aggression and considered inappropriate.  I'm sure members of these cultures still manage to communicate effectively.  So there are some behaviours that should be discouraged whether a person is blind or sighted, but the majority are irrelevant, and it is pressuring blind people to abandon these ones that I think is problematic.

Arielle andMark with a K,
No direct quote, but I take the main thrust to be that we really have no choice but to try to look and act like sighted people look and act.  Not conforming is very likely to lead to fewer opportunities and probably more isolation, at least in the world that we live in.

I feel the force of this point, and I don't disagree.  As I said at the outset, I look and act like sighted people myself.  I suppose my point is an ethical one.  It may be that, as a matter of necessity, we have to pressure blind people to suppress certain naturally occurring behaviours and to adopt behaviours that some will find awkward, but the thing's being necessary doesn't make it right.  I believe it is wrong that we have to do this.  I think a society where this wasn't necessary would be a better one.  And I think it's useful to call it out as wrong even if we feel we have no choice but to go along with it.

Regards,

Marc