[nabs-l] Speak to me

Lea williams leanicole1988 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:02:42 UTC 2011

When I first moved to North carolina about 3 and a half years ago, I
would go places with my family a lot. The people would speak to my
family instead of me, I would speak up and reply as if they had spoken
to me and most of the time they got the point and switched their focus
on me. My family got in the habbit of shaking their heads and pointing
at me to say "talk to her not me". You have to look in their direction
or they feel like they are talking to a wall and willspeak to who ever
is making eye contact. I do my best to make eye contact, of course it
is hard when you can't see but I at least get close enough to get my
point across that I am the one to speak to. I did however had an eye
doctor who just would not get it and would keep talking to my step mom
instead of me. I nearly fell out of my seet trying to lean forward to
get my face between the line of site between him and my step mom that
he so insistantly tried to keep. Another second longer I was about to
say something to him. Most times I don't have to explain to them to
speak with me instead of the people I might be with, so I try to give
them a bit of time to ketch on. I am a it pussy and will perject in
when I feel like they should be talking to me and since I have had eye
site before, I am good at giving dirty looks when I am not happy. My
aunt and cousins who raised me are very dramatic with non verble
comunications so I think I picked up a lot of that, It seems to work
well when the sited fails to get the point. For most however, I try to
be as polite as possible. I realize that they most likly have never
had to be confronted by someone like me, some of the other blind
people here has wives and mothers who do a lot of talking for them. So
I am having to reteach them a lot of better interaction skills with
the blind.

--
Lea Williams

Phone;