[nabs-l] Blindness vs. other minorities

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 24 00:56:37 UTC 2011

Jedi,

That's true about children in orphanages, or homes, that don't allow for
exploration. In terms of adoption, a lot of adopting families have had
to hurdle this obstacle when adopting children from particular
orphanages. My dad, who's a minister, went on a mission trip to Romania
a few years ago, and while visiting a local orphanage, he encountered
many children who had never experienced much outside a crib and the
orphanage walls. They didn't recognize love either, and many end up with
disassociative  identity disorder, which is a psychological condition
where a person has severe issues interacting with other people. It
shares similarities with some behaviors seen with autism.

Someone pointed this out in a post, but I can't remember who, but a lot
of problems and behavior exhibited by blind people isn't specific to
blindness, but people, us included, attribute it to the blindness. Just
like if my shoulder clips a wall even when caning properly, and it's
something anybody could do, but because I'm blind, this is what it's
attributed to.

I always tell people that if sight is what keeps us from accidents,
sighted people would never have accidents. This usually makes people
think and giggle, smile.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: