[nabs-l] Body language and facial expressions

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 24 22:13:09 UTC 2011

Arielle,
Good point. For blindisms, I took years to stop rocking and still do it
ocasionally; its not that I want to do it in public, but I'm unaware of it
until someone usually a family member points it out. It seldom happens now.
Sometimes if I feel like rocking or doing something qwerky, I just wait and
do it in the privacy of my home.

It is hard to immitate what sighted people do if we cannot see it and
sometimes behaviors come out unconsciously.
I think we should try our best, but if we're not aware of something and when
we're out alone, and are thinking of a million other things, we probably
shouldn't feel too guilty. When I rock its when I'm moving, maybe for
balance or something, but not when I'm sitting down. Fortunately, most
evaluative situations occur when one is sitting or standing. For instance,
presentations, interviews, taking exams, even being in class. So its not too
much of an issue there.

Sadly though, due to low expectations, I'd contend that a lot of blind
people simply don't know what is socially appropriate since no one taught
them in a way they can learn. Sighted children learn starting as infants
what is right and wrong; as toddlers they learn even more once they
understand language. If a blind kid doesn't have this information, they will
not know what is so called normal.  As adults, we can pick how to behave,
but to make a informed decision, we need to know what everyone else is
doing. Its hard to get that info without asking. I remember asking my
coworkers quietly about breaks, if we could get personal calls at work, what
the dress expectations were, etc. It was harder for me to know this by just
observing. With that info, I could conform to the atmosphere. Obviously we
still retained our individual identity, but there are unspoken rules in any
group setting such as work.

You're so right that information isn't enough. We also have to be 1.
motivated to include that behavior in our life to conform and 2. have the
ability to do it.

I can understand why Bridgit feels passionate about this; she was sighted
most of her life. I like that idea of taking an etiquette class and might do
that in the near future.

Ashley