[nabs-l] Using the word retard

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 02:36:13 UTC 2011

Carly,

I never said we should completely eliminate the word retard from the
vernacular; I just don't appreciate the use in which most people now say
the word. It is often said with negative conotations, and I've heard
people from all age groups apply the word retard to a person, or thing,
with the intent to demean.

The word itself, yes, means simply slow. It's used in musical
composition, and it was originally used to describe people with slower
mental capacities, but it has taken on very negative tones, similar to
using the word "gay" as in homosexual, except it is often used in a
negative way and not to simply describe.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan