[nabs-l] Cheerleading and dance

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 03:25:01 UTC 2011

Ashley,

I know a girl who did cheerleading in high school and she's blind. She
has RP and still has quite a bit of vision, and during high school, she
did very little with alternative skills, but I read about a totally
blind girl who was a high school cheerleader. I came across it while
researching for a paper years ago.

Based on my experience, I think it would be extremely easy to do
cheerleading without vision. Obviously learning the cheers and chants
wouldn't be a problem, and it wouldn't take much to learn the motions
done at specific moments. And there are cheer moves you learn that are
specific cheer moves, similar to dance, like a bucket fist means you
ball your hand with the thumb side facing up. So once you learn these
moves, you know based on the name what to do.

College and professional cheering is more involved and takes a lot of
physical stamina regardless of sight or not.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan