[nabs-l] Acting classes

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 03:44:27 UTC 2011

Ashley,

Well, specific to theatre classes, you will have lecture based classes
even though its about theatre, and of course the performance based
classes which focus on anything from voice to physical movement.

Specific to what I meant is that my major my second time in college
(creative writing) required us to take what is called oral
interpretation of literature at my university which is a theatre class
where we read pieces of lit. chosen by the instructor and then each
student selected a portion to perform. Since it drew upon literature, my
writing workshop required it as a means in which to make lit. come alive
quite literally, allowing us to use this as a tool when writing. I also
took another theatre class as an elective which was performance based. I
was able to act and direct, which I enjoy, directing. I was director for
a small theatre group for four years a while ago.

When rehearsing with others, or during dress rehearsals, we didn't run
words or specific lines over and over unless the directed felt we
weren't using the proper connotation. This is more a thing an actor does
when learning their lines privately. Though acting is suppose to sound
natural and extemporaneous, an actor must know how to say each word,
where to place emphasis and what characteristics/gestures to apply when
speaking in a certain way, or with specific words. Once rehearsing as a
cast, you may run lines over and over like this, but when it comes to
specific words and phrases, this is usually done when alone, or upon a
directors orders.

I also enjoyed performing, and I am considering doing some local things
now that school is done and I can focus my energies elsewhere. Good
luck.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: