[nabs-l] help creating a Facebook group page

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 23:41:21 UTC 2011

Hi Annemarie,

Actually, I'd say that if I'm understanding your client's purpose
correctly, she'd probably be better off with a fan page.  This is
because a group is mainly for discussion and interaction between
people interested and involved in a certain thing.  For example,
as a 2011 LAW Program participant, I'm in the NFB LAW Program
2011 group on Facebook so I can interact with other participants
and parents/chaperones at the program.  Most businesses use a fan
page if they're only looking to post announcements for a
business, and anyone wishing to receive such announcements is
asked to like (or be a fan of) the page.  Fans of the page will
only see announcements if the administrator of the page posts it
in a status update.  If the fans want to get other updates and
wall posts from other fans, they need to go to the fan page's
wall and look at the recent posts.  I know that many businesses
want to interact with their customers, but setting up a Facebook
group would be like setting up a listserve like this one, and I
don't think many businesses want that.  If she only wants it for
announcements, I would suggest a page rather than a group.  If
fans want to post comments, they can post it on the business's
wall.  However, the choice is up to her; if she wants a group,
she can create one, although I don't suggest it.  But I won't try
to tell you or her what to do.  If she wants a group, I'm sorry
but I can't be of much help, as I don't know how to create one,
nor join one on the mobile site.  Does anyone know? There is also
a list for blind Facebook users where you can post questions like
this one.  To subscribe, send a blank email with the subject
Subscribe to bfb-subscribe at yahoogroups.com.  Hope this helps!

Chris

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote