[nabs-l] Free Scanning software

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat Oct 8 22:47:42 UTC 2011

Your computer may already have scanning software in it. If you have
Office 2003 or later, you can activate Microsoft Document Imaging.
Document Imaging will allow you to scan documents; they get saved as
either jpeg or tif images. And if you need to, you can run the OCR
engine. The OCR is then moved to a Word document. You can also import
images into Document Imaging or do it the long way via taking screen
shots and saving them in tif format for analysis by Document Imaging.
The OCR works suprisingly well, especially in 2007 or later versions of Office.

Here's how you activate Document Imaging.

Go to Add/Remove programs in XP or Programs and Features in Vista/7.
You should then get a list of all the programs you have running. Arrow
down to Microsoft Office; most of you will probably have the Home and
Student version. From there, tab over to chage in XP or press the
applications key in Vista/7 and choose change. It may be listed in
either case alongside uninstall, but no worries. The next screen will
give you the option to configure various aspects of the software. I
believe the next screen asks you if you want to add new features or
configure features you already have. Click add (it's a radio button)
then press continue. The next screen gives you a list of additional
tools you can add to your product. No worries, you don't need your CD.
Arrow down in the tree view to Document Imaging, then tab to continue.
The next screen will tell you that you're in the process of configuring
the new software. When it's finished, you can use it. To access it, go
to your start menu and find Microsoft Office. There may be a submenu
that will grant you access to all your installed tools including
Imaging. But to make it easier on myself, I just type "Document
Imaging" in the start search field in the start menu. However you find
it, you may consider adding a shortcut to your desktop or start menu.
It's pretty straightforward to use, a little experimentation should be
all you need to learn how to use it. Just follow the prompts; make sure
your scanner is connected, and be sure you've explored the menu bar as
you will find everything you need there.

Respectfully,
Jedi