[nabs-l] Blind and low vision airline travlers

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Thu Oct 20 22:20:16 UTC 2011

No, it's really not a problem. Most of us ask the attendant near the
door we enter as to which row we'll first encounter than just count our
way back. Otherwise, we'll ask people in the first row of seats we
find. Most of the time, seats A, B, and C are on our left as we go down
and D, E, and F are on our right. As to bathrooms, we know that they're
either in the back of the plane or at the front of our cabin. If the
plane is really big, it may be in the middle between two cabins. I
personally find that the door to the bathroom is a little hard to find
because it's flush with the wall and there are other compartments like
closets that could kind of resemble the bathroom door. I think the
sighted would probably have the same problem except that there's a
label on the door that they can see. but I find that a little
exploration is all it takes provided that the airline folks give me the
time to explore before freaking out.

Respectfully,
Jedi