[nabs-l] justifying more rehab service out of state

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 24 15:33:35 UTC 2011

Hi Arielle,
Thanks for these ideas and it’s a pretty neutral response.
Good. I actually went to our in-state center in Richmond already. I'm in VA.
And I only went to Carroll center for a summer program.
It was Richmond's program where the cooking instruction was three times a
week and we often made one cooking project per class.

I like your idea of talking to the director of rehab with specific questions
especially finding out student accomplishments and outcome.
Yes if you say you want more training, the tendency is for rehab counselors
to send you back to the in-state center; no wonder students go back multiple
times. Another widely used practice is for counselors to refer you to a
rehab teacher that visits your home but that visit is seldom, like once a
month.

I guess the key is the specific reasons.  I'm actually trying to get
additional computer training now, but if the state doesn't give me enough,
which is very likely, I can say I need more and advanced technology training
at a center.

Take care.

Ashley