[nabs-l] Disability rights movement impacting blind movement

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 25 20:29:32 UTC 2011

Steve,

You're so right in your assessment of how certain ideas have negatively
impacted disabled people especially those with blindness. Coming from
the "sighted world" to the "blind world," I'm still acclimating to some
attitudes and ideas. Like you, I think we can learn from one another in
the disability rights movement, but each disability also has specific
needs, and what is important to one group, may not be so for another.

Your example of making buildings accessible is a great one. I still fail
to see how, beyond accessible signs, a building must be "accessible" to
the blind. I don't personally consider blindness a physical disability
in and of itself. I have no problem with my physical being. My arms,
legs, feet and hands work. I can no longer see, but this doesn't affect
my physical abilities- at least once I learned certain skills, I've been
able to do what I did sighted- driving excluded! Smile. So blindness is
a sensory disability to me. I fail to understand where others come from
with frustrations about buildings not being accessible for the blind. We
can go up and down stairs; we can walk through halls; we can find doors
and entrances; what possibly needs to be done to further accessibility
beyond Braille or raised numbers/letters, and perhaps busable locations.

But because other disabilities have demanded accessible features to
buildings, which for many is truly necessary, many blind people now
believe this is a top issue for them as well. We stop focusing on the
bigger priorities like better public transit or equal access to
information. We still have blind people thinking they require ramps or
elevators or that buildings should have simpler designs, whatever that
means. They don't realize how trivial these things are in the way of
accommodating those of us who are blind.

And I sense an attitude of entitlement to many of us. We certainly
should be accepted as equals, and therefore provided with equal access
to the world, but sometimes we're so accustomed to everything being
provided for us, we don't even consider doing it for ourselves. I mean
no disrespect here, but I read post after post about students not having
technology purchased, which rehab agencies should do, but at some point,
we need to truly be independent and take charge of our own lives. These
complaints are made while at the bottom of the post, it says sent from
an IPhone or Droid. Maybe the priority should have been a laptop or JAWS
or notetaker before the fancy phone. Oh the irony. We expect a lot, but
what do we expect for ourselves?

I'm veering off into dodgy territory here, but I get what you're saying
about other disability issues clouded the priorities of what is
important and necessary for blindness. We can work together and fight
for the entire movement as long as we understand what our individual
priorities should be. For the blind, accessible buildings isn't as
important as public transportation; having curb cut-outs isn't
necessary, but some audible noise on cars is necessary; living on the
first floor of a building doesn't help blind people more, but providing
more Braille signs, or allowing Braille labels to be placed in certain
areas, is very helpful. We should be aware of what, and who, is moving
the disability rights movement forward, but we can't lose sight of the
specific goals and priorities of those who are blind.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan