[nabs-l] a great article

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 20:02:34 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

As I try to learn more about both organizations, I have
subscribed to both the Braille Monitor and the Braille Forum.
The Monitor, as you know, is the Federation (NFB's)  publication
and the Forum is the Council (or ACB's) publication.  I found a
great article in July's Forum entitled "Fifteen Ways to Maximize
your ACB Membership," giving fifteen tips on how to take
advantage of all ACB (or any organization, for that matter) has
to offer.  I think this could also apply to the Federation and to
NABS or any other special-interest division, and is some good
advice.  To be accurate, I added "or NFB" in parentheses to some
parts of the article.  I have pasted the article below.  Any
thoughts on this? I promise I'm not trying to force the ACB down
your throats; in fact, I'm a Federationist in nature, but want to
learn about both.  Here is the article.

15 WAYS TO MAXIMIZE YOUR ACB (or NFB) MEMBERSHIP
  by Kenneth Semien Sr.
  All too often, people join organizations without taking
advantage of the opportunity to truly know intricate details of
its purpose,
mission, and operating practices.  This can very well result in a
lack of
participation and could ultimately result in a decision to
forfeit what
could have been the ideal vehicle to enhance your life, build
great
relationships and effectively share personal skills and abilities
that can
make an enormous difference.  In an effort to encourage you to
explore the
meaningful efforts of ACB, I have included the tips listed below
to assist
you in being all you can be and help you join with others whose
skills
complement yours.
  1.  Be inquisitive and don't hesitate to ask questions.
  2.  Become familiar with the history, mission, and purpose by
reviewing it often enough to be able to repeat it to others.  In
turn
someone may realize that this is the organization they have been
looking
for.
  3.  Make a personal commitment to identify ways to get
involved.
  4.  Find out who the officers are and become acquainted with
them and their roles and responsibilities, as well as members you
observe
actively participating in events and projects associated with our
organization.
  5.  Make your skills and abilities known to leaders of your
chapter, affiliate, or the president of our organization.
  6.  Make every effort to participate in chapter, state
affiliate
and national meetings, seminars, conferences and conventions.
  7.  Inquire about available committees you may be able to serve
on to assist the organization in achieving its goals and
objectives.  Seek
to join committees that allow you to utilize your skills and
abilities in
the most effective and efficient manner.
  8.  If you have access to the Internet, sign up for up-to-date
news and announcements from all levels of our organization.  Ask
a president
or member to tell you how to take advantage of this option.
  9.  Listen to or read publications/newsletters distributed by
our
organization on all levels.  This is one of the best ways to
learn about
useful resources, access inspirational stories, scholarships,
awards, and
upcoming projects and events.
  10.  Identify special-interest groups that meet your personal
needs.  These groups provide you the opportunity to network with
others
sharing common interests, such as your prior or current
occupation, hobbies,
health concerns and so much more.
  11.  Obtain your own copy of the constitution and bylaws to
learn
of the agreed-upon operating practices and procedures of our
organization.
  12.  Prepare for future involvement as an officer by becoming
familiar with officer titles and duties.
  13.  Participate in conference calls to build your knowledge,
such as membership focus calls, periodic Office Hours conference
calls with
the ACB president, committee calls, and special-interest group
calls.
  14.  Explore the web sites of your chapter, state affiliate and
our national organization.  You may locate information on the web
site that
you didn't think of inquiring about.
  15.  Pay your annual dues faithfully and encourage others to do
the same.
  The more you know and the more you become involved, the more
you
will begin to know that you have joined a phenomenal organization
that is
continuing to grow.  Have a great ACB (or NFB) adventure!

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote