[nabs-l] Some Questions About the Mac

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 21:53:24 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone!

I posted a few months ago about needing to get a new laptop and
whether to get a windows or mac. Currently, I am still using my
netbook. Anyway, my frend got a mac in July and we went through the
voiceover practice mode and listened to the quick start guide
together. While going through this she did let me play a little with
the mac.

I realized that despite what I've previously been told the mac is
quite simple to use and though it is different from windows it isn't
that hard to use at all. I am now considering purchasing a mac but had
some questions befoore making a final decision.

What is browsing Safari like on the mac? I love browsing the internet.
Is navigating the web with safari very complicated?

I have not been able to play with my friends mac using safari but I
have listened to her use it while she has done research for her
homework.

Once you click on a link on a webpage, how do you find the html/text
of the article to read it? Does voiceover automatically go to it and
then you interact with it? I love reading articles and such on the
internet.

How does safari/voiceover handle webpages that are cluttered and have
lots of flash? I know the mac doesn't support/handle flash so how does
voiceover read these pages? Does voiceover read/handle these types of
webpages better than Jaws/windows does? Examples of pages I am
referring to are www.espn.com, www.cnnsi.com, or
www.usatoday.com/sports. I guess what I am trying to ask is how does
voiceover/safari handle webpages that are really cluttered, have lots
of flash, and have lots of links/headings?

If I decide to get a mac should I go with the macbook pro or the
macbook air? What are the differences between the macbook pro and the
air?

I was also looking at the apple store online last night and I noticed
that they have a 13-inch macbook pro with a I5 processor for $1200 and
a 13-inch macbook pro with I7 processor for $1500. Is there a big
difference particularly in speed between the I5 and I7 processors? Is
it worth the extra $300 for the higher I7 processor?

Thanks so much! If I think of any more questions I'll post.

Kerri