[nabs-l] Trouble forming an Association of Blind students for my state

Salisbury, Justin Mark SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu
Wed Sep 7 21:36:05 UTC 2011

Hi Joshua,

     Have you heard about the conference call that will take place on Sunday, September 11, called "The ABCs of NABS Reps?"  Ironically, the North Carolina ABS (of which I am President) will be with a national rep at our first-ever student track at the NFB of NC state convention this weekend.  I definitely recommend attending that call because they can talk about how a NABS rep coming to your state can help you start a student division.

    Having strong support from the NFB of Arkansas president in your efforts to establish a student division can be quite helpful.  Gary Ray, president of the NFB of North Carolina, believes very much in our importance.  If you question how big a priority a students division is to your state president, encourage her to talk to her fellow affiliate presidents about the value of a student division.

    If you can coordinate an interested group of people from Arkansas to attend a function of an Association of Blind Students in a neighboring state, that might help inspire the students, too.  You can certainly bring some folks to NC in March for our student seminar.  Our seminar is big enough now that we welcome people from all states.  We aren't quite neighbors, but that's why we have airports.

Feel free to contact me off-list about this if you want, too.

Good luck!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Undergraduate Student
The University Honors Program
East Carolina University
salisburyj08 at students.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD