[nabs-l] accessible ebooks

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 20:49:26 UTC 2011

Hi Menno,

Firstly, welcome to the list! As I tell any new member, feel free
to ask any questions you'd like.  We're here to help! Now, to
your question, if you want a DTB (digital talking book) player,
I'd suggest the Victor Reader Stream (the Stream for short) from
HumanWare.  This can read DAISY, EPUB, and other formats.  It's
also very portable, which is great for on-the-go reading.  You
could also buy the BookPort from American Printing House for the
Blind or the BookSense from HIMS.  If you have a notetaker, such
as a BrailleNote, BrailleSense, or PacMate, you can also read a
lot of types of digital books.  To read eBooks with a computer
and a screen reader, I highly recommend KNFB Reading Technology's
Blio program.  It has over 3 million free books and thousands of
what they call bookstore books, or books you have to pay for.
Are you a US citizen studying in the Netherlands? If not, this
wouldn't apply to you, as you wouldn't be eligible for the
program.  But if you are, you can get the National Library
Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) digital
talking book (DTB) player for free from your local Library for
the Blind and Physically Handicapped (LBPH,) or the one you are
registered as a patron of in the US.  As you can see, you have a
lot of options for eBooks.  Again, welcome to the list!

Chris

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote