[nabs-l] Partisanship on list

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 21:29:49 UTC 2011

Chris,

First, allowing Federation ideas and concepts is of course allowed
because it's a Federation list. Though not all NABS members and
participants subscribe to Federation philosophy or ideas, the Federation
itself has specific ideals and views that aren't debated as a
collective. And I will point out that we've discussed, plenty,
Federation philosophy, some disagreeing.

With secular politics, though, we are not a list specific to one side
over another, nor does the NFB associate with one political group over
another. So it stands to reason that we wouldn't follow or debate
specific political agendas. And in light of current threads, nothing
constructive has stemmed from such "partisan" discussions. If a
listserve existed solely to discuss varying political views and provide
information, there'd be more appropriateness for such back-and-forth.

I'm not against sharing and debating politics, but for a general
membership focusing on education, partisan political views doesn't
always lend itself to productive discussions. Again, as observed from
well here, and all it has accomplished is arguments many aren't
comfortable with, name-calling and clearly no one has been willing to
concede ideas.

If this was a listserve started and generated by, let's say, the T
party, it would stand to reason that their political views would be
primarily discussed, and debating liberal ideas would most likely not
lead to healthy, productive debates, but deteriorate into heated, angry
threads, as happened here recently.

True, not everyone on this list is an NFB member, and not everyone,
including NFB members, agrees with all things NFB, but the listserve
itself is NFB so naturally, NFB ideas, philosophy and views are
supported and given preference. If this list was backed by and initiated
as a general listserve for blind students, it would be another matter,
but the fact of the matter is that the NFB started, supports and
moderators this listserve so as a collective entity, even though not all
subscribe to it, Federation views are backed. Not that we can't discuss,
debate and provide other schools of thought, but these threads tend to
be more productive than threads with secular politics.

We have to ask ourselves this: What is the purpose of this list, and
what does debating secular politics accomplish on this list? Sure, we
often disagree what is appropriate and inappropriate for NABS, and
off-topic posts are not discouraged, but think about the current thread.
It hasn't steered us into a productive discussion whatsoever. As they
say, don't discuss politics or religion in mixed company.

I will say this: Whether I agree or not, I find it refreshing so many
young people are considering the world around them and participating in
political activities fitting their personal views. Not a lot of teens
and twenty-something's care about politics, but how our operate as a
country, the decisions that truly affect most aspects of our life, are
determined by our political leaders. Kudos to those participating in
civic duties. Though I caution everyone to investigate and study both
sides before confirming positions. Be open to learning and understanding
no one is perfect, nor are political views.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Message: 13