[nabs-l] accessible video games

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 22:18:30 UTC 2011

Hi Patrick,

Good question! I think that's something the Federation should
consider...  maybe I'll bring it up at my state convention.  Are
there any games which those on this list play independently? A
game that I have is Little League World Series for the Nintendo
Wii.  I've learned to listen to the "whoosh" sound effect it
makes when the ball is pitched.  If it's a louder sound, it's a
four-seem fast ball and I can swing as soon as I hear the ball.
But if it's a quieter and slower sound, it's a two-seemer, so
when I hear the ball, I wait 2 seconds, then swing.  I've hit
many home runs off of my dad that way! * Smile! I think the Wii
is the most accessible of all of them, as the Wii requires you to
make the same motions you would in a real game (especially in the
sports games) with the Wii remote, whereas the other game systems
(Play Station, X-box, etc.) require you to press buttons to do
certain actions.  But, I think that companies can do a lot to
make their games a lot more accessible, if the game system
companies don't make their systems accessible.  The problem,
however, is that video games are so interactive, that things
change very quickly, causing it a little hard to describe.
Movies are described using a human narrator, since the graphics
on the screen stay the same no matter how many times you watch
the movie.  But, that shouldn't be that much of a problem now, as
things change very quickly on the roads as well.  * Smile! Just
my thoughts!

Chris

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote