[nabs-l] GPS devices

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 20:04:08 UTC 2011

Hi Katie,

I have a Trekker Breeze and like it! I think it helps increase my
independence.  However, I will advise you to not let the Trekker
Breeze be a replacement for your cane travel skills! The only
thing I don't like about the Breeze is that it sometimes tells me
I have arrived at a particular destination, but the destination
is really across the street and
offset from the corner.  That's why I say you need to use the
Breeze as an addition to your cane travel and orientation skills,
not as a replacement to them.  I don't think the Breeze has an
earphone jack, but it does come with a microphone that you can
clip on to your shirt and plug into the Breeze.  This puts an
extra speaker on the Breeze, so you can hear it better.  This has
been very useful on the busy streets of my town's business
district.  I also like the Breeze's carrying strap.  This is very
convenient in that if you're traveling, you can carry it around
your neck and you don't need to hold it, giving you a free hand.
Another thing I like is that you can record landmarks on it.
When you get to the place you want to landmark, hit the record
button and say the name of your landmark, like "home," "school,"
or "work." In the future, when you get to the landmark you've
recorded, it will say "You have arrived at..." and then it will
play your recording.  If you have any questions about the Trekker
Breeze, please let me know on or off list.  I'm sorry I can't
help you with the Kapten, as I haven't had any experience with
it.

Chris

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote