[nabs-l] accessible magazines

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 22:22:39 UTC 2011

Hi Ashley,

You have a few options here.  You could read magazines
and newspapers on NFB Newsline.  This is the way I read most of
my magazines.  It's free to sign up, and you can read many
magazines and newspapers from around the country plus TV
listings, job listings, and local blindness-related information
(in the form of a state information channel put out by your
state's sponsor, which is usually the state NLS library) either
on the phone by calling into the service, on the Web, on your
Victor Stream or any other talking book player that supports
DAISY files, on an NLS DTB player, on a notetaker that supports
DAISY files, or on your MP3 player or iPod.  For more
information, you can call 1-866-504-7300 or go to
nfbnewsline.org.  Now I know that you are in
northern Virginia, so you can also use the Washington Ear, which
is a service like Newsline, only it has human readers (like RFBD
magazines) and it only has local newspapers, although it has some
national magazines.  For somebody who lives in the area, the Ear
is nice because it has some of the smaller newspapers from the DC
suberbs on it that you wouldn't find on a national service like
Newsline.  You can go to washear.org for information about that.
The Ear has both a phone service and a radio reading service, but
the phone service is free, so I'd recommend that.  You can
usually get blindness magazines either in Braille, large print,
by email, or over the Internet.  For example, I'm subscribed to
both the Braille Monitor (from NFB) and the Braille Forum (from
ACB.) I get the Monitor mailed to me in Braille (come to think of
it, I haven't gotten my August/September Monitor yet) and the
Forum emailed to me.  You can get those magazines at either
nfb.org or acb.org.  On the NFB site, just select Publications,
then Braille Monitor.  On the ACB site, go to the Quick Links
heading and select the Braille Forum link.  From there, you
should find subscription options, either in the form of a link
and then a form field or just a form field on the same page.
Many mainstream magazines are available online, and a lot of
these are accessible.  Heck, even my state NFB affiliate only
distributes our newsletter, the Braille Spectator, on Newsline
and online on our site.  They don't even make a hardcopy! So, you
can find many magazines online.  Of course, not all of them are
accessible, but it doesn't hurt to check the ones you're
interested in out to see, if they're not on Newsline, the Ear, or
NLS/Bookshare, or you don't want to read them by these means.
Speaking of Bookshare, they also have a lot of magazines, along
with RFBD.  You could always try them.  To answer your question
about NLS, I didn't know there was a special magazine program
they have.  I know that they have magazines on WebBraille and
BARD, if you're subscribed to either one.  To sign up for these
services, the best way is to contact your state LBPH.  Note that
you need a notetaker or a Braille display to read WebBraille
materials, as they are in BRF format.  Hope this helps! Please
let me know if you have any questions!

Chris

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote