[nabs-l] JAWS and operating systems

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 25 21:48:49 UTC 2011

I think one of the biggest issues here is the rate at which programs are
accelerating. In the last few years, computers and computer systems have
changed and grown much quicker than in the past. The technology boom has
gone into warp drive, and everyone is trying to catch up. If you're like
me, you hate to learn a new way just after learning to adapt to another
system or program. And this says nothing about the financial side. I
hear similar complaints from both blind and sighted consumers using
computers. The average person doesn't view these changes with excitement
and joy; all we know is that a change is occurring, and we're going to
have to make yet another adjustment.

When I recently upgraded to JAWS 12, I was told to not upgrade to I E 9
as it wasn't very compatible. Whether running XP or W 7, I E 9 wouldn't
work as well. However, it sounds like those of you running W 7 aren't
experiencing this issue.

We have four computers at home: one desktop, two laptops and one netbook
laptop. The desktop, which is going on six-years-old now,  and my
netbook, which is two-years-old now, run on XP with JAWS 12. One of the
laptops is four or five-years-old now, running on Vista and the other
laptop is brand new running on Windows 7. The desktop needs to be
replaced, but I wonder if updating to Windows 7 on any of the 3 not
currently running it is worth while if Windows 8 is suppose to be
releasing soon. Other than the brand new laptop, all the other computers
are still using MS Office 2002, which needs to be updated as well. I
guess my question is what is compatible with what? I know MS will soon
drop support for XP, and most computers purchased now will run W 7
automatically, but is it worth updating anything at this point?

I am not computer savvy in any sense of the word. In fact, I've learned
how to use a computer better since being blind than I ever did sighted,
so all these changes and new devices just make my head swirl.

One of the reasons we're still running old programs is because of the
cost. Is it worth investing in anything new at this point if it will
just change quickly again? And how do we ensure what we upgrade to will
in deed be compatible with other existing programs/systems/software
especially JAWS? For me, it's a bit overwhelming, and honestly, if I
didn't need to rely on computers and technology for so much, I'd say F
it to most of this and live like some little, old hermit. LOL

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan