[nabs-l] kendel from Amazon.com accessibility

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 22:04:58 UTC 2011

Hi Anmol,

The NFB has been talking with Amazon about making their Kindel
accessible, although Amazon hasn't done much working on the
matter.  I haven't heard much from the Federation on this matter
lately, has anyone else? The Kindel's accessibility was the
reasoning behind the Authors' Guild protest back in 2009 and the
founding of the Reading Rights Coalition.  Amazon put in
text-to-speech technology in their Kindel 2 when it came out, but
the Authors' Guild (for some reason, it makes no sense to me
whatsoever) got up in the air (if you will) about it because they
were worried that text-to-speech technology making their books
accessible to the blind would adversely effect their royalty
payments for the sale of their books.  Therefore, they didn't let
Amazon make their books accessible, and Amazon agreed with them!
Later in 2009, the Federation along with a lot of other
disability rights groups formed a coalition that is still alive
and strong today that advocates for the right of access to
information for people with disabilities called the Reading
Rights Coalition.  They held a big protest in front of the
Author's Guild offices in New York City.  This was all started by
the Kindel, and it's still not accessible!! This is one of the
Federation's uphill battles, and I am optomistic that we will
win! In the meantime, the Kindel, unfortunately, just won't work.
But you do have many options, both in the form of hardware and
software.  If you have a digital talking book player such as the
Victor Reader Stream from HumanWare, the BookPort from APH, the
BookSense from HIMS, or the NLS DTB player, you could use those
to read books.  You could also try Bookshare or Learning Ally
(RFBD.) If you want something mainstream and accessible, you
could always go for the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.  You could
also download Blio from KNFB Reading Technologies.  Blio is a
mainstream eBook reading platform for both the blind and the
sighted.  But the great thing about Blio is that you can rest
assured that every book you download from the service is
completely accessible to you as a blind person.  I have Blio, and
love it! It fulfills the NFB's dream for eBook reading: same
book, same time, same price, same quality! The only limitation to
Blio is that it only runs on a PC, iPhone, or iPod Touch.  They
just came out with a version for Android, but they're still
trying to make it accessible.  Here's the link to Blio:
www.blio.com.  Although we have Blio, I believe we need to keep
working to make all the options sighted people have for reading
books accessible to us, and that includes portable devices like
the Kindle! I know enough about the Federation to know that we
will keep fighting until we achieve this goal, and I'm determined
that we will come out on top! As the Federation's "national
anthem" says, "Glory glory Federation, our cause goes marching
on!" :) OK, enough for my pep talk! Has anyone heard anything
about the Kindle from the Federation's leaders or access
technology department? If so, please keep us posted! Hope this
helps!

Chris

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote