[nabs-l] Presentation Techniques

Stephanie DeLuca sjhhirst at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:35:48 UTC 2012

Ok I have better vision than you so consider that when reading this advice.

What I normally do is make my slides such that I don't really need  a laser pointer.  I highlight the things that need to be highlighted or organize them in such a way as to lead the audience's attention where I want it to go without having to point with a laser pointer or with the mouse.  One thing you can do is make the point you want to get across the title of the slide.  That way, if they're not paying attention to your presentation, at least they see the title.

Then, I make notes on each slide that outline what I want to say for it.  If i want them to look at something on the right side of the slide, I say "As you can see in the table on the right…." blah blah blah.  I learn what I want to say for each slide and run through it a few times until I feel comfortable with presenting it without being able to see the slides directly.  You could then give practice talks with some friends to get feedback from them.