[nabs-l] Question for blind students

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 22:49:38 UTC 2012

Hi Osmond,

The first big challenge that I can think of is accessibility,
accessibility, accessibility! As a lot of blind students here can
probably attest, one of our biggest problems as blind students is
not being able to access important Web sites, documents, and
computer programs used in the classroom with our screen readers
or other screen access technology.  It is sad that this problem
is so common, because it is easy to fix.  Just ask the makers of
Blackboard!

Another big problem that blind students face, and that all
independent blind people face, is the negative attitudes and
misconceptions about blindness which are widely believed by the
general public.  Most of the time, there are just minor little
incidents (which we usually come on this and other NFB lists and
laugh about, swapping funny stories) of these misconceptions in
our interactions with the public.  The difference with students
is sometimes, these misconceptions about blindness effect our
success, or stop us from taking certain classes or studying
certain fields that we want to take or study.  A prime example of
this happened to a good friend of mine who is currently going to
our local community college here in Maryland.  He wanted to take
an arobic fitness class for his PE credit.  However, the teacher
of this class said she couldn't let him take the class because he
was blind, and she "wouldn't be able to accommodate (him).)" What
she didn't understand was that he could participate in the class
on the same level as everyone else.  All she thought of was that
she couldn't imagine doing the things that she was teaching in
her class without her vision, and couldn't imagine how he, as a
totally blind person, could do them, so she just assumed that he
needed a lot of special accommodations to participate in her
class, which she thought she couldn't provide.  People who do
these kinds of things don't mean to be discriminatory or unfair;
they're just ignorant about blindness! So, I would emphasize to
the teachers you talk to in your presentation that it is
important for them to keep a positive attitude about blindness,
and to not assume that a blind person can't do some task in their
classrooms without asking the blind person first.  If they have
any questions, I'm sure you would be very open to answering them.
But the bottom line here is this: Don't stop a blind person from
taking a class or doing anything else in the classroom just
because he/she is blind! For more on this second challenge, I
would encourage reading Dr.  Kenneth Jernigan's speech called
Blindness: Concepts and Misconceptions.  You can read this
article here:
?nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/blndnesc.htmI also
encourage everyone else on this list, especially college
students, to post your experiences with both of these challenges
and any others you have experienced to this list.  Osmond, I
think it would be good to have some good stories to tell as
examples of some of these challenges for your presentation.
These are just my thoughts.  Good luck!

Chris Nusbaum

"For we walk by faith, not by sight."
2 Corinthians 5:7?