[nabs-l] Techniques for Doing Math in Braille

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 00:17:33 UTC 2012

Hi Lanie,
I double majored in psychology and statistics as an undergrad and took
quite a few college-level math classes. Like you, I have always
preferred the Perkins braille writer over electronic notetakers when
it comes to doing math problems. I was, however, able to find a way to
take notes efficiently in class using my Braille Note and only used
the Perkins for homework assignments. In some instances where I had
trouble taking down all the formulas and equations, I recorded the
lectures using a digital voice recorder (after getting the
instructor's permission) so that I can go back and review the details
later. I lived on campus as an undergrad so was able to return to my
dorm between classes to study and work on homework, but in your case,
I'm wondering whether you could coordinate your study schedule a bit
so that you could work on your assignments for other non-math classes
(which probably only require a laptop or your braille notetaker) on
campus and do the calculus problem sets while you are at home? I know
that such adjustments can be a little annoying, but they may be
worthwhile if carrying around all the heavy equipment and braille
texts is really getting to you.
Hope this helps!
Katie