[nabs-l] citing APA style

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 22:31:45 UTC 2012

Hello  Ashley and all.

I'm not trying to criticize your screen reader usage. But can't you use your
screen reader's specific commands to read font information and the like?
Isn't there a way to tell colors and at least attempt to format them
yourselves? I know I can do that with JAWS. The command for telling me the
font information using JAWS is insert+F, and the command to tell me what
color I am working with is insert+5, 5 meaning the number row on the
keyboard. I'm not sure you can do that in NVDA, but there are also settings
in NVDA that allow you to describe the font or text attributes.
In the settings center (for jaws 12 and over) / configuration manager (jaws
11 and under), there are settings that tell JAWS how to do all sorts of
things. Like there is a dialog box called the "speech and sounds scheme"
where you can specify what you want JAWS to speak. In NVDA, you can go to
the NVDA preferences menu and choose the "document formatting" dialog box in
which you can specify the settings that you want, like what attributes you
want NVDA to speak to you. My point is, yes you can request a reader, but
don't just request a reader for these things that a screen reader can do for
you. It might take you just a few seconds of your homework / study / testing
time when you hear that extra information coming out of your speakers or
headphones and deciphering into your brain for reading, but it is feasible.
Besides some of you crank that voice rate on your screen readers pretty
high. At least for me. I don't' want to rely so much on a reader just to
tell me, "hey this text is displaying in italics, red, and underlined."
while my screen reader can be my own reader for that. Isn't why such
software is called "screen reader"? Because it reads to you. [smile!]

Hope this helps you, and I am sorry if I'm starting a hot debate in here
about using real readers Vs. JAWS for editing font attributes. <smile>

Cheers,
Humberto