[nabs-l] books recommendations

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:50:14 UTC 2012

Valerie,

You're correct; unfortunately, neither the Kindle nor the Nook is
accessible. I'm not sure of any accessible eBook device that would recommend
books to you; I didn't even know that was a feature of the Kindle. Blio
might do it, but I don't know. There also might be Web sites that do this.
Try Googling something like "book recommender" or something like that, and
see what you come up with.

As to your question about books in EPUB format, you can read them using
iBooks on an iOS device, a Victor Reader Stream from Humanware, or a
BrailleNote Apex. These are just the devices that I can think of that
support EPUB and are accessible. As far as converting EPUB books, you can do
this free and online using www.online-convert.com.

One more thing: for more information about the accessibility of many eBook
reading platforms, I would strongly recommend reading 2 articles which
recently appeared in the Braille Monitor. The first is eBooks: What Works,
What Doesn't, and What is Still Unclear written by Amy Mason, which appeared
in the January 2012 Monitor. The second is Mainstream Access to eBooks: My
Perspective, by James Gashel, which appeared in the February 2012 issue. If
you haven't read these articles, they are a great source of information for
the blind eBook reader! You can read these articles on the NFB Web site,
www.nfb.org. Click on Publications from the home page, then on Braille
Monitor, then on 2000-Present, then under the 2012 heading, January and
February respectively. Once on the contents page for the magazine, you can
click on the link with the article's title to read it and the Listen Now
(MP3) link under each article to listen to it in MP3 format.

Hope this helps,

Chris