[nabs-l] Best OCR Apps for the iPhone?

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 02:00:26 UTC 2012

Arielle,

The best advice I can give on this subject is

wait.

I figure the blindness circles would be buzzing with excitement if there
were a good solution currently available.

Maybe the KNFB team has something up their sleeves.

Kurzweil or open book may have to do it for the time being.

I didn't even find the KNFB reader all that it was made out to be, but
that is just me.

Sincerely,
And still waiting.

Antonio Guimaraes

On 8/2/2012 9:09 PM, Arielle Silverman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I got an iPhone about two months ago and I have heard there are some
> good apps for reading printed text (mail, handouts etc.) Do any of you
> have suggestions regarding the most reliable OCR apps to get? One
> issue I have is that I have really bad aim when taking photos with a
> phone camera, so I would like to get one that is highly accurate
> and/or that provides viewfinder feedback.
> I have heard that VizWiz (an app that will send a photo of something
> to a human reader who will send back a translation within a few
> minutes) is good, but I would like to use a software app so I don't
> have to wait.
> Apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but I figured that many blind
> students have iPhones and could benefit from having a free or low-cost
> app to use when reading in-class handouts and other printed documents.
> Thanks for any assistance!
> Best,
> Arielle

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr.