[nabs-l] Information about Italian

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:12:19 UTC 2012

Hey Min,
I took Italian and French in college with just a Braillenote and my
laptop so it's doable. Much like you, in high school I always had my
French books in Braille. For Italian, I was lucky because our text
book was actually an E-Text that we bought online. Then you could
download the chapters in a pdf. I'd take that pdf and run it through
Kurzweil and then just convert the file into rtf and put it in my
braillenote. If you're book isn't an E-text, go ahead and start
working on your disability service office to scan it for you. If they
don't have anyone they use for this, AMAC is a good resource. Also,
you might try looking in the STEP program website to see if they have
your textbook. STEP is a project between Course Smart and AMAC that
allows you to rent accessible text books online.
I also did homework and quizzes on my Braillenote. My professor
created all of her assignment online so she would just email them to
me. Actually, most students in my class did all their work online,
since the E-textbook had a workbook portion that you had to type up
and then print. So, go ahead and talk to your professor now about what
you need, and talk to your office of disabilities.
Good luck, and feel free to email me if you have further questions.
Mary

--
Mary Fernandez
Emory 2012