[nabs-l] Brochure help,

Joshua Lester JLester8462 at PCCUAEDU.onmicrosoft.com
Wed Aug 22 03:08:24 UTC 2012

Wow!
I was just thinking about this!
I hate to highjack this thread, but I've noticed a trend!
We have so many students on here, with the same first name!
We have two Joshes, 3 Ashleys, etc.
We need to come up with a way to make it known, which person with a similar name, we're talking to on this list!
Thanks, Joshua
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] on behalf of Ashley Bramlett [bookwormahb at earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:59 PM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Brochure help,

Ashley,
I'm Ashley too and I attend a community college part time getting a
certificate while looking for work; I have a BA in liberal studies; I'll get
a certificate and extra relevant classes for my resume here at nova.

About the brochure, jaws doesn't always describe colors and layout well.
However, if you just need a simple brochure, creating one will not require
much extra eyes. What is its purpose?

Do you have any vision? If so this will aid you in creating it. If not, do
the best with jaws and have a sighted person assist you in the layout.
Also, your professor should give you tips on things like font type and size.

I've not created a brochure, but have created flyers for a club and readers.
So, that said, here is what I might do for a brochure.

I have a little central vision so this may help me pick a font. I'd select a
font with curly edges of letters.
such as Georgia. Another idea would be pick one with dark block letter lines
such as Impact or
Showcard gothic.
You should type your information in smaller font, maybe size 12 or 14. If
its  a list of important things like dates, you might want to make a
bulleted list.
Note that Word had several types of bullets, but I think the more common
ones are a square bullet or the circle filled bullet; that is what I've seen
often. But you can always check with someone sighted to find out.

Then you might want to add some pictures by either using clip art or cutting
and pasting in existing pictures from other sources.
Clip art is in the insert tab.

Finally, Microsoft word lets you add page borders and a background color,
but I suggest printing on colored paper, its easier.
To do either one, go to the page layout tab. If you wish to add a border, go
to page borders in that tab. If you tab to the combo box that says
art, you can pick any number of picture borders that will be displayed
around the page; quite pretty but not sure it would help for this type of
brochure. All pictures are spoken so you know what you're choosing; pick one
and press enter, otherwise its not selected.
Art graphics include apples, cookies, cake, hearts, and even Christmas
trees.

You can also write text into a box; I suggest picking the first box so it
does not look like a template then. To do this go to the insert tab and tab
to text box; open that display of choices and press enter on the first
choice wich is the simple text box with no additional formatting.
It is in the center of your page, but to move it, press the standard
commands of control L for left or control R for right.
You can also create tables in word; that is accessible too. That might be
good for some brochures.

If we have more info on the expectations for it and who the audience is, we
might have more ideas. You can make it look funny or serious, depending on
the audience.
hth,
Ashley