[nabs-l] graphing and graphing calculators

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 04:08:39 UTC 2012

Hi all,

It recently came to my attention that my friend’s vision teacher discouraged algebra 2 honors based on its pace and visual emphasis; more graphs are involved. She told me she  took algebra 1 honors and did fine and felt the next part would be okay but wasn’t sure how to do the graphing part other than by hand. She said there is no accessible graphing calculator. I only know of the computer audible graphing calculator for blind students which obviously displays the graph in an audible sound.

I did not have to use these fancy graphing calculators in algebra 2 much but apparently the curriculum changed to involve more graphic equations since I took it in this same county. When I needed to use it, I had a reader who was my vision teacher type in the info in the calculator and then draw the graph once it came up. I have some vision so could see  it on large graphing paper with a bold pen.
Most equations I just solved algebraically, as opposed to graphing them.

So, what have you done? What do you do when other students use scientific graphing calculators? How do you access the same info? What options are out there for scientific talking calculators? This student has no vision. I thought she could just use a reader and they could show her the graph but they do not think it’s a good idea. Also, she was told she could not use a reader on the state standardized test. I was shocked as this seems like a reasonable accomodation, if she cannot operate the calculator herself.
She is in public school as well, and its sad that the teacher of the vision impaired isn’t coming up with a solution.

So curious to know how you handle it. One idea I had was to use the computer such as excel to draw some of the graphs, but this couldn’t be used on state tests, as its my understanding no technology can be used there.

Thanks.
Ashley