[nabs-l] graphing and graphing calculators

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 04:56:31 UTC 2012

Arielle,
Thanks. I told her to try it too.
She can always switch to regular algebra if things become difficult.

I might get more details as to what is required of students in algebra 2.
She will have braille math books so I assume this will aid her in
understanding the graphs and what they look like.
I'm sure she uses a braille notetaker but I'll ask. I think excel and the
scientific calculator on the notetaker would provide access to many
of the functions she needs. She could do the problems by hand, but it seems
to me it would be more efficient to use a calculator like everyone else.
I wonder if she would be behind as well when they have calculators and she's
doing it by hand.

What does excel help you do? Does it graph parabolas or matrices problems?

I'm not sure how blind students would graph usually; I used vision for that
part.
I know APH has the tactile graph paper, but it does not have many squares
and does not seem big enough to put multiple lines on it; you know sometimes
you have to graph two or three lines to see where they intersect.

So how would you represent a dotted line for unequal to? Sighted people
shade in parts of a graph to represent something.
We also had to graph inequalities on number lines. The visual way is to
darken part of the number line and draw an arrow to the side you need. Like
an arrow to the right of 1.
Also how could you graph a line graph that curves? I thought of wiki sticks,
but those probably wouldn't be long enough.

I remember graphing some, but as I said, I solved a problem algebraically if
that was an option.

Thanks.
Ashley