[nabs-l] graphing and graphing calculators

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 04:59:48 UTC 2012

Hello To my knowledge the graphing calculator we are all talking of is the
only one of its kind.
I did not use a graphing calculator for Algebra 2. I did all the super long
equations on my scientific calculator and if something totally couldn't get
done with the longhand form, I asked my aid to use their calculator to cheat
and tell me the answer (even though that is what the other students were
doing). It is just because students get scared of really long formulae they
stopped doing long hand. It can be done, it just takes a lot of space!

That is ridiculous about not having an aid on the state test. Both my
sighted brother and I got 100% on the state test here in CA and I used an
aid and he didn't. Then he did super well on the SAT where I got pretty low
on the SAT. Again, I had an aid he didn't, so it really doesn't change your
grade any way... An aid/reader is totally within an IEP plan and I'm pretty
sure the 504 law also deals with high school students and an aid/reader is
totally a reasonable accommodation. Just tell them that they need to remove
all print from the campus and put it on the computer or place braille on
every letter and have little vibrating things where ever there is text so
you can hear it as you walk by. That way there will be nothing that isn't
accessible except for maybe the computer, but that is another request.
That is an unreasonable request in the country's eyes. A reader is nothing.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs