[nabs-l] LSAT Accommodations Question

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 20:59:25 UTC 2012

Hi Jordan,
I am not a law student but my intuition is not to let the Law School
Admissions Council release accommodations info to schools you apply
to. If for some reason you decide later on that you would like to tell
a school what accommodations you used, you can always do that on your
own terms, but if you let them release this information, you have less
control over how or when the information is released. My general
philosophy when applying for competitive programs like law school or
grad school is not to talk about blindness at all unless it's directly
relevant (i.e. I do research on blindness, so I'd talk about that
research on job applications). You don't want to give the impression
that your grades or scores should be judged against a different
standard than everyone else's because you used accommodations.
Otherwise, you risk putting doubts in the minds of admissions
committees about whether or not you are really a competitive
applicant.
The only reason I would advocate discussing accommodations is if you
feel you were not accommodated well, or if you received poor grades
due to resource deficiencies at your college, or skill deficiencies
you had at the time that you have since overcome.
Arielle