[nabs-l] learning braille

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 22:08:41 UTC 2012

Go to
www.hadley.edu/braillecourses.asp
for a list of courses. Below is some Q&A about how Hadley teaches Braille:

Braille by Mail: How Hadley Teaches Braille at a Distance

Are you new to Hadley and wondering how we teach braille at a
distance? The Hadley School for the Blind has been teaching braille
and many other subjects
at a distance since 1920. Although there is an increasing prevalence
of online and distance education courses, the concept of teaching
braille this way
raises a lot of questions. While there are many challenges to teaching
braille by correspondence, Hadley has tried and true methods that have
proven to
be most effective. This Q & A answers some of the questions you may
have about learning braille through Hadley.

Q: Who can take braille though Hadley?

A: Hadley teaches braille to both visually impaired and sighted
students. Students across all four of Hadley's program areas -- Adult
Continuing Education,
High School, Family Education and Professional Studies -- are welcome
to enroll.

Q: In what formats does Hadley teach braille?

A: Visually impaired students receive materials in both audio and
braille formats. In the courses designed for the visually impaired
learner, students learn
to read braille tactually (using their fingertips). Students also
learn to write braille using various braille writing tools, including
the slate and stylus,
a device used to emboss braille on paper and a braillewriter, a
braille equivalent of a typewriter.

Sighted students learn braille a bit differently. Instead of feeling
the dots with their fingers, students visually read black and white
simulated braille.
Hadley has also designed a braille simulator for computers in which
six keys on the keyboard represent the six dot positions within a
braille cell, similar
to the braillewriter. Sighted students also learn to use the slate and stylus.

Q: Is learning braille difficult?

A: Learning braille for the first time can be challenging, but
Hadley's self-paced courses allow students to learn at a rate that
works for them, maximizing
learning and comprehension. Since Hadley is a distance education
school, instructors are not physically present with students. However,
Hadley's unique
"classroom of one" approach means that instructors are available when
students have questions or problems -- either by phone or email.

Q: Is there a fee associated with taking Hadley braille courses?

A: Like all Hadley courses, braille courses are offered tuition-free
for visually impaired students. Thanks to a federal braille grant,
"Introduction to
Braille" and "Contracted Braille" are currently free to sighted students.