[nabs-l] Taking a Course in Chinese

Ben J Bloomgren ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 05:38:40 UTC 2012

Hanna,

That's why I wrote my initial message to you. I fear that you're going into this giant's backyard in ignorance. Please know that I am not flaming you by any means. I'm not even trying to sound rude, but I don't want you to run into a buzz saw in class when they're studying Chinese characters while you're wondering about an "alphabet." Chinese does not have an alphabet in the same way in which English does. The characters express words or parts of words, and their meaning and pronunciation must be learned from memory. I'm not trying to scare you off, but it takes the average native-born Chinese student upwards of five years to master the system. There is Pinyin, which is a way to write Mandarin Chinese in regular letters, but that's not how the Chinese public does things. Again, please know that I'm not attempting to start a flame war. I probably sound very arrogant and rude, but I'm just trying to get you to the best experience possible with this tiger of a group of languages. If you wish to email me off list, please do so: bbloomgren at me.com or on twitter at http://twitter.com/blindbirder

Sincerely,

Ben