[nabs-l] symbols for chemistry

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 00:11:00 UTC 2012

Hi Danielle,
There are ways to create arrows and Greek letters in Microsoft Word,
but  JAWS usually doesn't read them properly. When doing homework it
is important that you can read your own homework assignments to use
them for review. What I have done for years (since high school) has
been to make up my own symbols. For example, instead of inserting the
Greek letter theta, I literally write out the word "theta". I have
done this for multiple biology, chemistry, math and physics classes
and never once had a teacher complain that I wasn't using the real
symbols.
If you have a Braille notetaker you may be able to do some fancy
things with LATX so that the Greek letters show up in proper Nemeth on
your Braille display. If you are interested in pursuing this option
further, I suggest joining the BlindMath list and asking there.
Best of luck,
Arielle