[nabs-l] A Song I want

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 23:43:23 UTC 2012

Hi Sarah,
Did VR get the Braille Note for you? If so, then they may give you a hard
time about getting a computer, because they will say that you already have
sufficient equipment for school or what not. Also, a lot of VR offices will
not buy both a notetaker and a computer. Perhaps, if you are in school, you
can tell them that you are required to have a computer with Windows 7 on it.
A lot of assignments in college classes, especially ones dealing with
computers and technology, require you to do them on a Windows 7 computer.
This is what happened to me, because I only had an XP, and my assignments
for my technology class needed to be done on a computer with Windows 7 and
Microsoft Office 2010, so this is a good thing to bring up with VR. Also,
you could point out that a computer is an integral part of both going to
school or getting a job and is important for being successful and
independent. The Braille Note can be rather limiting for certain things,
especially on the Internet, so maybe you can write down these points in a
letter or write it down for yourself and discuss it with your VR counselor
point by point. In your points, you can state the limitations of the Braille
Note and reasons why you need a computer. If you have any textbooks or
assignments that need to be done on the computer, you could also show your
counselor the assignment or textbook as proof that you need the computer for
school, or if you are working, perhaps you can get a letter from your
employer stating that a computer is needed for your job.
Also, if you are in college and receive a Pell grant, you can use money that
you have left over after your tuition and books and anything else you need
has been purchased with financial aid to purchase a computer. I did this
this semester, because I had some money refunded to me and needed a Windows
7 computer, so that is what I used the extra money for. Of course, this
depends on whether you are just going to community college like I am doing,
or if you are going to a private or four-year university, because tuition
rates tend to be lower for a community college, and public universities cost
less than private universities generally.
Hth,
Misty