[nabs-l] the blind or blind people was Re: Are we blind people orpeople who are blind?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 04:39:43 UTC 2012

Hello,
National federation of people who are blind. Hm, not the ring I'd like...
NFB sounds cooler!
When we refer to people with their sight we say sighted folks, or sighted
people. I sometimes say people who are sighted, but in that context I do
think of that trait above all else, their neurological patterns
communicating from their brain to their eyes at a standard 20/20 vision.
When I say blind people I know that people are going to think of my
blindness first. Even if I say I'm a person who is blind the reader will fix
that unique trait on me above all else. If I say something like I'm an Opera
singer or I'm a person who sings Opera, I'm sure the same thing happens.
People focus on that unique trait and I don't think it makes a difference
where it gets put in the sentence.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs