[nabs-l] Christmas travel tips

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 22:25:53 UTC 2012

I would encourage anyone who has airport questions to check out the
list archives where this topic has been discussed several times. I
also recently found an iPhone app called FlySmart which is very
helpful and almost fully accessible. You can use it to find the gate
where your flight is leaving from and flight status info (whether or
not it is delayed) as well as a list of shops and restaurants in the
concourse where your gate is located. They also have airport maps
which I assume are not accessible, but the restaurant listings are
straightforward and very helpful especially if going to a less
familiar airport. I find the toughest part of airport navigation is
finding where to check in. I get around this by either printing my
boarding pass at home, if I am not checking any bags, or using
curbside checkpoints at the curb in front of the terminal entrance if
I am checking bags. Some airlines do not have curbside check-in, but
most do and a cab or shuttle driver should know where they are. If you
are walking or taking a bus to the airport, you may need to ask a few
people for directions to curbside since some people won't know what
you are talking about and will try to take you inside to check in, but
persistence pays off. Anyway, once you have your boarding pass you can
get directions to security and then to the gate, or get assistance,
whichever you prefer.
As for buses, Beth, I'm not sure if you are asking about local transit
or buses to get between cities. One resource that's great for planning
a local transit route is Google Maps. You can go to
maps.google.com
click "get directions" and type in your starting and ending addresses.
You will get driving directions, but then click "by public transit"
and tell it when you want to leave. If a city bus is available Google
Maps will give you the scheduling and route information.
Best,
Arielle