[nabs-l] Canes again

Brice Smith brice.smith319 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 23:13:09 UTC 2012

Hi, Antonio.
I've heard of some really cool international canes, but these are hard
or impossible to find in the US. The US doesn't have a wide variety of
cane options to be honest. You're pretty much stuck with the Iowa
cane, Ambutech in Canada, the NFB models or Revolution in California
as far as I can tell.

There are some interesting canes from Europe and Asia. The telescoping
Aurora cane, made of Glass and manufactured in South Korea, looks to
be extremely strong and lightweight. I wish I could see this model for
myself. Poke around here and do some additional web research if you
are inclined:
http://www.gobizkorea.com/blog/ProductView.do?blogId=kunyoong&id=967748

The Kellerer cane has been highly recommended by a couple of blind
professionals and instructors and is made in The Netherlands. It's a
strong, durable telescoping model with a ceramic tip that weighs only
about 6.5 ounces. They deliver to the US but I haven't yet had enough
courage to go through the process and the model is admittedly
incredibly expensive. This company, Worldwide Vision, also has a
variety of other interesting canes and general cool gadgets. Here is
their site in English:
https://www.worldwidevision.nl/en/
... and the webpage for their Kellere cane:
https://www.worldwidevision.nl/en/product/mobility/long-canes

Duxbury has a list of general international sellers and distributors.
http://www.duxburysystems.com/search.asp?Search=cane

By all means, you are more than welcome to try and bring one of these
to America and let me know how it works out for you. I've been
thinking about ordering one of the Kellerer canes but haven't been
able to justify the price yet. Otherwise, If you don't have the money
or interest in tracking one of these down from abroad, keep in mind
that the NFB's telescoping canes were remodeled recently. They are
sturdier now than they were just a few years ago and are certainly
worth a second look. I am not a fan of Ambutech's models. While I like
their ceramic tip, I think their canes are heavy and their paint
begins to peal and look ugly after minimal use.
Brice