[nabs-l] Canes again

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 19:27:54 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I am also interested in feedback on Ambutech folding canes. I love my
NFB straight cane but I also want to get a good, reliable and
low-maintenance folding cane. I have had bad experiences with NFB
telescoping canes either breaking, spontaneously telescoping at
inconvenient times, or on the flip side, becoming so tight that I am
unable to telescope them. I have an NFB folding cane and it is better,
but I hesitate to use it a lot because occasionally one of the joints
becomes difficult to pop back into its place. I would like to try a
different folding cane manufacturer. How heavy or light do the
graphite folding canes feel compared with the NFB fiberglass rigid
canes, which is what I am used to? Also, this may be a dumb question,
but are the Ambutech tips easy to replace? When I was growing up I was
given aluminum folding canes with marshmallow or roller tips, and when
the tips wore out my O&M instructor always replaced them for me, so I
never learned how to do it myself. I want a cane with a tip I can
easily replace if it wears out while on the go or when I just don't
want a lot of fuss. Do Ambutech canes take tips that are similar to
the NFB metal tips?
Thanks,
Arielle